Saturday 5 October 2013

CCC - MAUREEN'S (AKA SCRAPPYMO) CHALLENGE - UPCYCLE AN ITEM ONTO A CARD


Good afternoon you lovely bloggers out there, I hope your weekend has started well - special love to Sue J and her hubster Paul - hope you are fully charged, energy wise, very  soon!

Must just tell you about my horrific experience on Thursday night, I usually go to bed to read while hubster watches the late news.  I do find that reading helps me to sleep because it seems to wind me down just that little bit.  Anyway I always do a cursory check in the bathroom and the bedroom for 'things'!  Well, the bathroom was clear - phew! - but I sensed that the bedroom might not be!!!!   I switched the light on and there it was - the biggest ruddy eight legged beastie I have ever seen - I could have fitted a saddle on it and it wouldn't have looked out of place!  Needless to say I screamed and, fortunately, the hubster came running - bless him!  We keep a large yoghurt pot in the bathroom (just for these 'problems') and he caught it and popped it out of the window - he told me it's legs were hanging over the edge of the pot!!   The thing is I still keep seeing it and am wondering where the rest of his family are - yuk!

This is a card for the CCC - Scrappymo (Maureen our lovely friend in Canada) has given us the theme of 'upcycling an item onto our Christmas card'.  I usually save some of my Christmas cards - as well as all hand made cards - if there is a particular picture that I like.  This is one from two years ago, I just loved this little Santa popping down the chimney, so I cut it out to use at a later date!!!

 
I used  mainly gold and red on a kraft card base and added my new favourite die by Joanna Sheen from her Signature range, this one is the Ivy Flourish and is a brilliant size, so useful to add a swirl with a difference!
 
Ingredients
7" x 7"  Kraft Card Blank - Anna Marie Designs
Upcycled topper from an old Christmas card
Pink Paislee Papers - City Sidewalk
DCWV Papers - Christmas Wishes
Joanna Sheen Signature - Ivy Flourish Die
Spellbinders - Labels 33 Die
Daisy and Dandelion - Christmas Wishes clear stamp
Ribbon/bobbles/red and gold card from stash
 
I have quite a pile of Christmas cards ready now, and I am so pleased with myself and grateful to the CCC for giving me the incentive to make these cards throughout the year (as opposed to the last minute mad dash I usually have).
 
I hope you like it, thank you for any comments you have left, I love reading them so much.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend, I am now going blog visiting - see you soon!
 
Big hugs to you all
 
SUE xxx
 
I will be entering my card into the following Challenges - 
 
4 Krafty Girlz Challenge No 3 - http://4kraftygirlzchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/
challenge-50-anything-goes.html   (Letter S = Santa)
 

24 comments:

  1. This is great Sue. Like you I have lots of things that I have reclaimed from cards that are too nice to just chuck out. Mind you, although I'm full of good intentions I don't often get round to doing anything with them. I hope you can hear me singing "When Santa got stuck in the chimney". I think it's going to be a close call for him in this narrow chimney pot! Anyway I love the image and what you have done with it too. A great card! Love and hugs from Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Sue, it's a great image and deserves to be reused! I love the paper and the ivy flourishes look wonderful
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue your card is fabulous, love that image and I would have saved him to be reused too.
    Hazel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card Sue. It seems like these huge spiders are everywhere. I had to remove one from the bath yesterday - horrible huge things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous upcycling Sue, a lovely cheery card. You sound just like my kids....they all come to me when the eight legged beasties invade their territory! Mind you my eldest son (23) got brave last week and dropped the Next catalogue on one when I wasn't around to "save" him! Carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeh Carol - I reckon this one would have walked out the door with the catalogue - it was huuuuuge!

      Hugs Sue

      PS I could never get near enough to annihilate one!

      Delete
  6. Love that image! Great card! Thank you for linking up at Christmas Card Challenges! Karen, CCC-DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Christmas card Susan, I have not thought about keeping images from shop bought cards but what a good idea! Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous Sue. I save bits from old cards but I never use them, I forget to go into the box that I have them stored. Lol!!!
    You made me laugh about your creepy friend. When it was warmer all the crane flies where coming in the bedroom window. This particular evening hubby went to the bathroom first and I was getting undressed, I spotted one of my enemies and screamed, hubby came and sprayed him and said there he won't disturb you now!!! I went to bed and then heard by my ear on the pillow a fluttering. Jumped out of bed and screamed, hubby turned the light on and there it was fluttering on my pillow dying. Lol!!!

    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue,
    me wonderful blogging mate.
    Superb card love the Santa is it a stamp, only I have one very like it. Great designing too. Oh wow I must get that ivy die.
    Super photography Graham, and great spider catching .
    Now my little matey I hate those 8 legged critters too. So hubby bought me a plug in thingy that stops them. Now you get the little ones still but 4years on and I haven't seen a big one in this house since. He bought it off the internet. So have a look there.
    There is a wood and lake behind my garden fence so I should get lots of those critters, but I don't.
    So glad you found the stand. I was over the moon when I found mine as I had been admiring them and didn't have the courage to ask anyone where they got it from.
    Have a wonderful crafty day.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue
    Fabulous stunning card.... Love it...
    Hugs Sylvie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card Sue and I'm amazed you've kept the picture for such a long time! Sorry to hear about the shhh 8 legged thing, I hate them too! Zx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card. Love the image and your coloring! Congrats on your stash of Christmas cards. Good for you! Thanks for linking your card with us at the Sister Act Challenge Blog.
    Cathyxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing card!
    Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty I hope we see you again soon!

    Hugz

    Laurian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your card is wonderful, but I was so distracted by your story I almost forgot to look at it! Ugh! I DETEST spiders! There's no way I could have trapped it and released it. I probably would have had to move out! But anyway....Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue...its such fun to use up the cards that we have saved because we like them....he is a lovely santa image and your lovely card does him full justice!....xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous card and a great way to recycle!
    Thanks for joining us at Christmas at Sweet Stampin' and we hope to see you next time as well.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fab card .... thank you for joining TTCRD this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice card - lots of design and pleasing to the eyes! Thanks for joining the challenge at Crafting By Designs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great Sue and thanks for joining us at Christmas Sweet Stampin this challenge
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Sue! This is great! Love Santa and I really love how you tied the gold in with that lovely golden paper.

    The pompom ribbon is so cool too ! I love your colour combos and the background papers!
    Great card as always!

    Sorry so late with the comments but no internet this week...just using my sisters for a few minutes tonight.
    I had a little giggle over the spider...it reminded me of when my eldest daughter moved out, she used to phone her Dad to drive 20 minutes to her house and kill spiders for her. That Christmas her sister got her a spider catcher. It was a long stick with a little box that went over the beastie and then a bottom slid across and bammm...he was trapped!
    teehee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card, love the image. Thank you for joining us at 4 Krafty Girlz this fortnight. Abbie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic card, Love the image and your coloring is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Challenges 4 Everybody.

    Hugs
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  23. ohhh my.... don't know how you have managed to sleep at all!!! I would not have been able too. I totally HATE with a passion spiders!!!

    This card is sooo cute. Love how you have colored him up.

    Thanks for joining our fortnightly challenge here at Craftitude challenge. Hope you will join us next time. DT Crafting Vicky I have some candy on my blog ;o) http://crafting-vicky.blogspot.ca/2013/09/400-followers-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, you make my day!
Hugs Sue Pxxx